Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday in Tbilisi

On Sunday, I walked over 30,000 steps around the city of Tbilisi. I walked from 10:00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m. This city has some of the most varied forms of architecture. There are churches from 5th Century B.C. to very modern and funky architecture. I also found a lot of signs that American culture and businesses that has made its way to Georgia. In the near future I will be making a blog post, titled Even in Tbilisi which will bring you some of the highlights.

I visited a lot of churches today. When women enter the church they need to cover their hair. Most of the churches belonged to the Georgian Orthodox Church. At the Sameba Cathedra, I saw a Matins which is a one of their rituals. I could not tell exactly what was going on but it seamed very informal and there were at least 300 people standing around, watching the ceremony, blessing themselves, and lighting candles. None of the churches I visited had pews or seats. People seemed to be coming and going into the churches to practice their faith.



Sameba Cathederal or the Holy Trinity Cathedral. This was built between 1995 - 2004.

This church was built in the 1980s

This church was built in the 4th century and updated in the 17th century.






This is a mosque that was built in the 19th century. It is the only mosque in Tbilisi .



h
House built within an existing castle. I am not sure how old the castle was.


This an example of some of the modern architecture. The presidential palace is in the background.  In the foreground was building that was never completed it was supposed to be modern music venue but when the president left office and the construction stopped.


The horse with the King who named Tbilisi.






This was part of castle and was really steep and little bit sketchy. I am pretty sure that people would not be allowed to climb this in United States with out any hand rails.



The Bridge of Peace



I am not sure I would want to live in that apartment building.







This is my cool shower. It has wooded floor and one of the nobs actually has the temperature on it so you know how hot it will be when the water gets turned on. The glass only covers 1/2 the length of the shower and there is no door.
This is only one of three table for the breakfast spread. The food in the hotel has been absolutely delicious.





4 comments:

  1. Great photos Joe! I hope the weather has been good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are enjoying yourself Joe. Keep it up. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was there any pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pancakes but they had awesome omelets made to order. Tons of fruit like apricots, figs, etc.

      Delete